From The Archivists Round Table of Metropolitan New York, INC.
The Archivists Round Table of Metropolitan New York, Inc. (A.R.T.) is announcing a Call for Proposals for the 2017 New York Archives Week Symposium. The full-day symposium on Archives and Local History will be held on Thursday, October 19, 2017 in New York City.
The day will focus on presentations and panel discussions, interviews, studies, strategies, research, analyses, and use studies, with the aim of bringing together archivists, industry experts, records managers, librarians, museum professionals, professors, scholars, academic researchers, and the general public.
Possible areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Community history projects
- The history of a neighborhood
- Development versus local character
- Gentrification and other demographic changes and trends
- Local historical societies and museums
- Landmarks and historic sites
- Maps, timelines, building records, and other primary sources
- What happens when community records leave the community?
- History compiled by the community or by amateur historians versus history done by “professionals”
- The stories a community tells about itself
- The day will be divided up into four sessions between 60 and 90 minutes.
- Individual papers or entire panel proposals will be accepted.
- All individual presentations will be a maximum of 20 minutes long.
- Each session will have a Q&A period at the end.
- Submissions must include: title, name of author and institutional affiliation (if applicable), email address, phone number, abstract (250 words max), and indication of technological requirements.
Event Date: Thursday, October 19, 2017
Location: TBD New York, NY
Submission Deadline: August 30, 2017 @ 5:00 p.m.
Email Proposals to: email@example.com